At FIT CHICKS Academy we love seeing the creativity and hard work of our Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program (FNE) students and grads. Today we are pumped to share this recipe with you from Fitness & Nutrition Expert Jennifer Asselstine! Jennifer created this recipe for one of the assignments in the Nutrition Module of the FNE program. We are excited to introduce Jennifer and her creation!
Hi, my name is Jennifer Asselstine Sussex from NB. I have worked a variety of jobs from retail customer service and sales to construction. In May 2023 I spent some time in the hospital with health related concerns and realized I needed a change and NOW! I was stressed out and really struggling and deep in my heart knew I should be running my own business and helping other women with similar struggles to my own. Losing weight and keeping it off being a main focus as this is something I have struggled with my entire life.
I am happy to say I am now certified for the Fitness and Nutrition Expert Program as well as in the Holistic Nutrition for Weight Loss Coach. I know coaching others is my true calling and working diligently to launch my business by 2024! Through the program I have learned so much and I also have lost 20 pounds so far, gone down 2 sizes in my clothes, and my other health-related concerns have diminished or disappeared. I also am still on my own personal fitness and nutrition journey, but feel so much more motivated knowing I now have the right tools to see success and then pass that on to other women.
I chose Fit Chicks because I can see myself in this company. Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful and no matter what happens I know I will be heard and things get done! It’s always great when a company has the same values and goals. Not to mention the course content is amazing. I wasn’t new to the fitness industry, but there’s a lot of less than great information out there. Despite having personal trainers most of my life, I was still struggling, felt unheard, and wasn’t reaching my goals.
This has never been the case with Fit Chicks. Right from the first meeting when I was deciding if this company, and program, would be the right fit for me, I knew I was being heard. Since then, not only have I learned so much and became certified, I have also seen major success with my own personal fitness goals. I highly recommend Fit Chicks and everything they have to offer, which is a lot of awesome variety! From lessons, to workouts, to done for you programs, they will make sure you are on track and achieving your goals!
If you want to be successful then this is the place to be. This program really focuses on the whole package – that fitness isn’t just exercising and trying to eat right. That it is a whole mindset along with the correct nutrition and fitness plan. I also love how the courses are laid out, they are easy to follow and, if a correction needs to be made, everyone at Fit Chicks listens. You are not just a number here! Plus, if your core values are wanting to help others with love, then this is the place to be! I have never taken a course where the owners and instructors are so involved and I have taken many different ones over the years. You will never just be a number here. Fit Chicks is a whole community where love and respect reign!
Vegetarian Lentil Chili – Instant Pot
A quick and easy meal to help you balance blood sugar, packed with protein, and fibre! Complete in 3 approved (meaning it contains protein, low glycemic carbs/fibre, & fat) for anyone looking for a filling meal while on-the-go.
I stumble upon this recipe one day while I was craving vegetarian chili. I was also looking for a recipe that was quick and easy to make and one that would give me on-the-go meals for the week. Also, one that would make it easy to fit with my macros each day and give me the balance of protein, carbs/fibre, & fat that I eat with each meal.
I have altered it slightly as I do not add as many tomatoes as the original recipe and I love pineapple, so I have incorporated that as well. I just LOVE how easy it is to make (I honestly feel like I’m done and ready to eat in 20 minutes…lol), it’s filling, and I know it will keep me full for hours as the fibre and fat helps to slow digestion while keeping my blood sugar balanced, and I love pairing it with 1 cup of coleslaw!
SOURCE: I got inspiration for this recipe from: https://www.acouplecooks.com/instant-pot-vegetarian-chili/
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 24-39 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 39-54 Minutes
TOTAL SERVINGS: 11, 1 cup Servings
TOTAL CALORIES PER SERVING: 254 calories per serving
MACRONUTRIENT BREAKDOWN PER SERVING (INCL FIBRE GRAMS!):
- Carbohydrates: 43.6g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Protein: 13.3g
- Fiber: 12.2g
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 can, 540mL, Six Bean Medley
- 1 can, 796mL, Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can, 540mL, chick peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can, 398Ml, pineapple tidbits
- For Serving can Top With: 0% Greek yogurt or cashew cream, shredded cheese, hot sauce, cilantro, sliced green onion
- Dice the onions and bell pepper
- Turn on Sauté mode and add the avocado oil to the Instant Pot. Once heated, add the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes until translucent. Then add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 3 tablespoons of chili powder. Lock on Instant Pot lid and make sure vent is in Sealing position
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Press the pressure cook, or manual, button, making sure the High Pressure setting is selected and set time for 12 minutes. It can take the Instant Pot 15 minutes to pre-heat and come to pressure before it starts cooking.
- While the pot is cooking drain the pineapple tidbits, drain and rinse the beans and chick peas, and mince the garlic.
- Quick release the vent to release the steam. Cover your hand with a towel and move the pressure release handle to venting. Keep your hands and face away while the Instant Pot is venting for safety. Once all the steam has been released. Open the lid.
- Add the final flavourings: Stir in the beans, chick peas, pineapple tidbits, garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Load it up: Add toppings for more flavour! Here are some ideas: sour cream, 0% Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, hot sauce, cilantro, sliced green onion, or add some of your favourites!
TIPS TO ALTER IN LIEU OF A DIETARY RESTRICTION
- For dairy-free options swap sour cream or 0% Greek yogurt for cashew cream and swap cheese with nutritional yeast.
- For tomato-free option add a can of black beans.
TIPS TO SUB AN INGREDIENT TO ALTER THE RECIPE
- For a variation, omit the pineapple and add baby spinach or kale.
Thank you so much for sharing Jennifer!
PS Do you want get CERTIFIED as a Fitness & Nutrition Expert? You can get started TODAY so download our program brochure here and learn how you to create your dream life, health & career!